The Dao Does… Signature Period Porridge
Three things you should be adding to your morning oats if you aren’t already!
In Chinese Medicine, we utilise Dietary Therapy as another tool to support health. We have access to an array of foods in Australia that we learn as Chinese Herbs when we studied at university – foods that are on the shelf in your local supermarket that have properties to aid your health.
This Period Porridge is a hormone-friendly meal to incorporate throughout your cycle, both in the Follicular & Luteal phase.
Here are our top three must-haves to add to your morning oats;
+ Gou Qi Zi (Goji Berries) – they are red in colour directly tonifying the Blood and the Yin. They also nourish our Kidney and Liver organs, aiding with symptoms associated with the eyes and our Jing.
+ Rou Gui (Ground Cinnamon) – warms the insides, and expels the coldness, perfect to regulate and warm the channels & Spleen.
+ Hei Zhi Ma (Black Sesame Seed) – nourishes the Kidneys and Blood, supports reproductive health, strengthens bones, favours longevity. We recommend the powder form available from The Dao or at your local Asian grocer.
The Dao Health practitioners love a bowl of porridge in the morning – we add in these three ingredients every day along with nut milk, seasonal fruits like berries or pear, and a scoop of Greek yoghurt or nut butter, for a source of protein.
There are a few ways you can prepare your oats;
- Soaked overnight
- Freshly cooked
Some mornings, our day at The Dao can begin at 7 am, therefore, I love to soak mine overnight and bring them along to work to consume around mid-morning.
- Soak 1/4 cup of oats, in ½ of milk of your choice (I opt for almond milk). I also mix in 1tsp of ground cinnamon & 1 tsp of chia seeds – pop into the fridge.
- In the morning, mix through adding any additional milk if the mixture is too thick. Top with seasonal berries, 1 tbs of Greek yoghurt (full fat), & 1 tbs of black sesame seeds.
- Transport to work – allowing time to sit out of the fridge prior to eating.
Note: In winter, I love to stew some apples or pears in cinnamon & ginger to have on top.
- Combine 1/3 – ½ cup of Rolled Oats, 1 tbs Goji Berries, 1 tbs Hei Zhi Ma in a bowl
- Add a splash of boiling hot water to combine ingredients so they are moist
- Add ¼ tsp of Ground Cinnamon and mix
- Add your choice of protein either 1 tbs of Greek yoghurt or dairy-free yoghurt and/or 1tbs of Nut Butter such as almond butter
- Add seasonal berries – fresh or frozen and seasonal fruit such as Figs in Summer & Stewed Pears & Ginger in winter
- Sprinkle a little more ground cinnamon
- Enjoy immediately, overnight or in a few hours
Or make your oats however you usually do and then top with all these amazing ingredients. And to keep your hormones super happy – make sure you are having your Period Porridge before your morning coffee!
Head to our Instagram @thedao, to see our How-to reel.
By Molly Burton